Author: Drip Depot Staff
Threaded parts can be either Hose thread or Pipe thread:
Some drip irrigation parts such as pressure regulator, backflow preventer, filter and others have threads. Most have the option of either pipe thread (PT) or hose thread (HT) and within the thread type you will have the option of female or male.
- FPT = Female Pipe Thread
- MPT = Male Pipe Thread
- FHT = Female Hose Thread
- MHT = Male Hose Thread
Thread types have these acronyms:
- NPT = National Pipe Thread (this encompasses all sizes and genders)
- GHT = Garden Hose Thread (always 3/4", can be male or female)
You cannot mix thread type unless you use an adapter first. If you mix thread types your system will leak, guaranteed.
To create a leak free connection, GHT and NPT threads differ.
- GHT creates a water tight seal by applying pressure against a washer that is seated in the female part of the fitting.
- NPT creates a water tight seal by tightly sealing the male and female threads.
Therefore, remember these two rules.
- You never use Teflon tape or pipe cement on GHT. Hand tightening is usually sufficient for GHT.
- You always use Teflon tape or pipe cement on NPT. NPT threads usually require more than hand tightening to seal properly.
Drip Depot Guarantee
- Great Prices
- Quality Products
- Large Selection
- Easy Returns
- Free How-to Videos
- Lightning Fast Shipping
- Friendly Customer Service